Winter doesn’t have to mean dull skin!
If you’re like me, you absolutely love fall and winter! I love the fall and how the leaves change, the air changes and everything feels more cozy! I also love winter though because for me it means time with family for Thanksgiving and the Holiday Season that follows(: Seriously, my favorite time of the year! What do I not love about winter? How pale and dull my skin can get. I’m going to show you 10 tips, mostly DIY tips, to keep your skin extra healthy through the winter and keep that glowing summer skin!
1.Sunless Tanner! Probably the most obvious choice to make your skin glow in the winter is to use your favorite sunless tanner to keep your skin bronzed! My favorite sunless tanner is a brand called Loving Tan! Their 2 Hour Express tanner takes only 2 hours to develop so it’s also great if you’re in a pinch!
2. I know in the winter, long hot showers are so satisfying – but the hot water actually strips all of the moisture out of your skin and can leave you with dry, flaky and dull skin. Instead, opt for the short cooler showers so you don’t lose as much moisture! As always, be sure to apply a moisturizer after you get out when your skin is still damp to lock in extra moisture as well!
3. Love smoothies? Try avocado + banana + mango + pineapple + spinach + coconut water! Avocados are packed with antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin E and monounsaturated fatty acids to help your skin stay hydrated and your hair stay shiny! Mangos, pineapples and bananas add some vitamin C and deliciousness. Spinach actually has anti-aging benefits and also can help your skin heal itself from acne scars, nicks cuts + has about 5 ounces of water per cup of spinach to keep you hydrated! The coconut water is AMAZING for hydration and also has loads and loads of health benefits for your hair and skin! Overall, drinking this smoothie will be like a mini spa day for your skin!
4. Say Yes to Cucumber Facial Wipes. I swear by these + they’re only like $4 at the drugstore! I have a pack in my gym bag, in my car, in my book bag, in my soccer bag, and in my purse at all times – they’re seriously amazing. I use these after workouts, after soccer games, after I run, after long classes (because I tend to touch my face a lot in class – NOT good!), as a refresher, or if I need to remove makeup! These wipes are packed with green superfoods that naturally exfoliate, detoxify, and rejuvenate all in one! They are 98% natural, biodegradable, oil-free, non comedogenic, hypoallergenic, cruelty free, and work amazing with sensitive skin ( I have VERY sensitive skin & these never break me out!). These will definitely keep your skin clear and glowy!
5. Eat foods rich in vitamins! There are SO many vitamins and there are a ton that do so many great things for your skin. To name a few, vitamin C helps keep skin bright & has anti aging properties, vitamin E helps protect skin against sun damage + helps with inflammation, vitamin A (retinol) is very well known for skin benefits such as cell turnover (ridding of dead skin cells) and also is effective at preventing acne! That’s just to name a few! Keep vitamins high in your diet and I promise you’ll see a huge difference in your skin! I also found some AMAZING recipes for healthy skin at ALOHA which put a lot of the foods very high in vitamins together for a delicious healthy skin meal (: I cannot wait to try the Healthy Coconut Sweet Potatoes 😀
6. Drink your water infused with lemon + cucumber + mint. Water is very important in keeping your skin hydrated and clear – so if you don’t like infused water, just drink a ton of water! However, if you like to spice up your water, try adding lemon for some brightening vitamin C as I’ve mentioned, cucumber for skin calming effects and mint leaves for some added flavor and anti inflammatory properties!!
7. EXFOLIATE!!! Exfoliating is SO essential to keeping the skin beautiful and glowy because as your skin goes through its natural process of shedding skin cells – if you don’t exfoliate those dead cells away, this can cause your skin to become dull looking. I recommend exfoliating your skin 2-3 times a week! There are so many different exfoliators out there but if you’re looking for something cheap and fast, try taking 1/2 of a lemon and put sugar + honey on the inside exposed half and rub in on your face. The sugar will help exfoliate the skin, the lemon will brighten the skin, & the honey will calm the skin! You’ll see a huge difference after just one use! Also, my favorite body exfoliator is Sea Salt from LUSH! It smells like a margarita and makes your skin look so incredibly bright!
8. Try a mask of 1 egg white, honey, and lemon juice. This may sound gross, but I promise your skin will thank you so much for this. Egg whites are great for tightening the face + making pores look smaller, plus they have a ton of protein which nourishes the skin, honey calms the skin + acts as an anti-bacterial, and lemon juice brightens and acts as an astringent to keep oil and pimples at bay! Use this about an hour before you apply your makeup for a night out and your products will apply SO much better and look much more natural!
9. Mix in a spray bottle water and a few drops of rosehip seed oil. This oil is packed with Vitamin C and is great for a refresher throughout the day or over your makeup! Rosehip also leaves the skin VERY hydrated and I find it gives my face a very subtle glow.
10. Try a bath with a few green tea bags infused in it! Do NOT drink the water – that’s gross haha. This is actually one of the best herbal baths you can take for detoxifying your body and destressing. Many people think green tea is only beneficial for ingesting, and while that is very true, that is not its only use. It leaves the skin very soft (thanks to the vitamin B) and also helps heal any rashes, cuts, or imperfections on the skin to keep your skin looking very healthy. Bring your bath water a bit hotter than normal, use anywhere from 5-10 tea bags, let the water steep for about 20 minutes or so (also lets the water cool) + make sure to have a good bit of water with you to stay very hydrated! I usually bring a pitcher and a glass when I take detox baths!
I hope you all can take something from this list and put it to use with the cold months coming up! Let me know if you tried any of these out and how they worked for you! Also, please let me know what some of your favorite methods for glowing skin are because I’m always looking for new methods!! As always, thanks for reading!(: