The Paleo diet has been around since the cavemen, literally, this diet is 100% based off of what cavemen and cavewomen ate when they were around. If you’re not familiar with the Paleo diet, it’s basically you eat as whole as you possibly can. It comes from the idea that you eat food that can be harvested from the ground or hunted. You mostly eat meat, fish, veggies and fruit while excluding dairy or grain products as well as all processed foods. It’s actually a very healthy diet & as long as you’re getting a good amount of carbs in from your fruit & veggies, you won’t feel sluggish or tired. It’s a very hard, very strict lifestyle though because you don’t realize how much processed foods and grains you eat, until you can’t eat them. I did the Paleo diet not long ago for lent and it was actually pretty easy to follow once you got a decent plan and meal prep going. I was trying to come up with some recipes while I was on this diet and came up with these Paleo Pancakes that have only 3 ingredients in them & are pretty filling. I remembered these this morning when I grabbed for a banana and there was two VERY ripe bananas sitting on our countertop – so I thought I would share this quick and easy recipe!
2 ripe bananas
1 whole egg
1 tsp cinnamon (or to your preference)
- Peel the bananas and mash them with a fork until they are as smooth as you can get them. They will act as the water and flour part in regular pancakes & you’ll see once you mash them they almost resemble the color and texture!
- Add in the egg. This will act as a binder and make the bananas cook easier & more like regular pancakes. I found they give these a bit of a french toast taste & texture!
- Add cinnamon to taste! You can also add fruit if you would like which I would have added blueberries or apples, but I wanted to give the basic recipe first. + I added a bit of Flavor God Chocolate Donut Seasoning as well !
5. Heat up a griddle or whatever you cook pancakes on to medium/high temps. I sprayed my griddle with coconut oil to make sure nothing in these pancakes were straying from the paleo diet!
6. Place a small amount onto the griddle & I let each side cook for about 10 minutes. These are a much different texture from normal pancakes and I find they need about double the time on each side to make sure they don’t crumble or fall apart when you go to flip them. If you don’t cook them long enough they will crumble & look like scrambled eggs – but still taste delicious!
The finished product! I topped mine with some pure buckwheat honey & devoured them! They taste like banana french toast & have a light and fluffy texture. I really enjoyed these and they make about 5-6 pancakes depending on the side you make them (the smaller, the faster they cook). They come in at 60 calories, 1g of fat, 12g carbs, 6g sugar & 2g of protein for 1 pancake.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe & let me know what you think if you try it out! Also, let me know some of your favorite Paleo recipes because I love trying new recipes! As always, thanks for reading (: